|ALVECHURCH PARISH COUNCIL - FOOTWAY LIGHTING TENDER |
Alvechurch Parish is a semi-rural area of north Worcestershire, part of Bromsgrove district and immediately south of the City of Birmingham. The Parish Council provides a range of local services to a population of over 5000, including managing around 140 footway lighting columns, mainly on residential streets. A significant investment programme has been agreed to upgrade this lighting stock, with funding being planned from a Public Works Loan. Concrete lighting columns are being completely replaced along with some older steel ones, and all lamp units are being standardised with environmentally-friendly LED units.
Project specifications and other tender documents are available via the Council’s own web site (https://alvechurch.gov.uk/tenders/ ) and on the Government’s Contracts Finder Website. A contract value of around £150,000 is anticipated and the relevant tender period extends from 20th September to 1st November 2021. The Council expects funding arrangements to be finalised before the end of the calendar year and implementation is therefore planned during the first 6 months of 2022.
The Council is looking to balance overall cost, quality of materials and delivery timescales. All tenders will be formally evaluated using pre-set criteria. Prospective suppliers must be able to demonstrate an ability to work within the above parameters and prove successful implementations of a similar size and scale. An ongoing maintenance contract for the new lighting stock may form part of the final contract award.
Good footway lighting is a key community priority for safety and security reasons. The Parish Council is committed to delivering this major investment project to meet local needs.
For full details please see the ‘Tender’ page of our website or follow the instructions displayed on the Governments Contracts Finder Website.
Tender submission deadline - Midday on 1st November 2021
Item 3 – p6 of the issued Specification States -
LAMP POSTS – to be tubular 6m high street hinged (raised and lowered) posts with hot dipped galvanised finish to BS EN ISO 1461 and steel tube manufactured to EN 10210. The contractor is to verify that all new or replacement lamp post locations are readily accessible with a suitable crane prior to tendering and to include for any additional or exceptional plant needed for any such locations that cannot be suitably accessed with the required sized crane or plant.
The revised requirements are –
LAMP POSTS – to be tubular 6m high static street posts, with the contractor including for 5no. of these to be hinged/tilt (raised and lowered) to be installed in agreed locations, with hot dipped galvanised finish to BS EN ISO 1461 and steel tube manufactured to EN 10210. The contractor is to verify that all new or replacement lamp post locations are readily accessible with a suitable crane prior to tendering and to include for any additional or exceptional plant needed for any such locations that cannot be suitably accessed with the required sized crane or plant.
If you have any further queries, please do contact the office.
The Parish of Alvechurch consists of three electoral wards Alvechurch Ward, Bordesley & Rowney Green Ward and Hopwood Ward. Alvechurch ward comprises the village of Alvechurch and Withybed Green; the Hopwood ward includes the north half of Weatheroak, whilst the southern half is contained within the Rowney Green ward that also encompasses the Holloway and Grange Lane, and is now combined with the Bordesley ward which borders Alvechurch Village ward along Station road.
Sited within the Worcestershire district of Bromsgrove, Alvechurch is one of Bromsgrove’s 19 parishes and shares boundaries with Beoley, Wythall, Barnt Green, Cofton Hackett and Tutnall & Cobley Parishes. The parish also borders both the city of Birmingham and Redditch new-town and is therefore a vital part of the West Midlands Green Belt that serves as a buffer between conurbations.
The only part of the parish that is not covered by the Green Belt classification is the built-up area of Alvechurch village itself. The resultant restrictions on new building development in the Green Belt mean demand for new housing in the parish is high.
Alvechurch Village Centre is a designated Conservation Area, host to a number of listed buildings originating from the 15th century. The parish church of St Laurence is listed grade II.
The parish is also host to good transport links of all types including (by road) the north/south A441 and the east/west M42, (by rail) the Redditch/Lichfield cross-city service, and (by canal) the Worcester – Birmingham Canal. The river Arrow flows from its source in the nearby Lickey Hills through the parish and out towards Alcester. The village of Alvechurch lies in a valley surrounded by Hob, Scarfield, Coopers, Hopwood, Wast, Weatheroak and Newbourne Hills.
Parish Councils are the most local tier of Local Government, the grass-roots level. In this area Local Government consists of parish councils, district councils and county councils – all of which have been set up by Acts of Parliament. In Alvechurch the parish council has been in existence since 1894, since when there have been a few changes to its size and number of councillors to today’s parish which covers the wards of Alvechurch.
The Parish Council is funded by the council tax payer. Councillors work out how much money they will need for the forthcoming year and set a special rate called the precept which is collected by the District Council with the council tax.